Makes: 10 – 12
- 450g cake flour
- 30ml baking powder
- 5ml salt
- 120g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated
- 30ml fresh chopped herbs
- 180ml maas
- 60ml milk
- 1 egg
- 5ml Staffords Dijon mustard
- 15ml Staffords VIP Sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 15ml milk
- cheddar cheese, slices
- Staffords apple jelly
- seasonal fruit, such as nectarine, sliced
- micro herbs
- Preheat the oven to 210°
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Rub the cold butter in between your fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and herbs and gently combine.
- Lightly whisk the maas, milk, egg, mustard and VIP Sauce together.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and combine as gently as possible, until just combined. Tip onto a floured surface and use a cutter to cut out 5-6cm rounds.
- Transfer the scones to a baking sheet and brush the tops of the scones with some of the beaten egg mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with some slices of cheese, apple jelly, fresh seasonal fruit and some micro herbs.