Makes ± 12 squares
- 2 cups frozen cranberries (± 250g)
- 1 jar (155g) Staffords Cranberry Jelly
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Zest of 1 orange
Base & Crumble:
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 150g white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 185g cold butter, cubed
- 1 XL free-range egg
Flaked almonds for topping
To make the filling:
Combine frozen cranberries and cranberry jelly in a medium sized pot. Mix and bring to a simmer. Cook until some of the cranberries start breaking down.
Whisk cornstarch with a tiny splash of water until smooth and add to the pot.
Stir through the mixture and simmer for 2 minutes while continuously stirring to cook the corn starch thoroughly and thicken the jam layer.
Remove from the heat, stir through the orange zest and set aside to cool.
To make the base & crumble:
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a food processor and blitz until well combined. Add the cubes of butter and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand. Finally add the egg and pulse until a dough comes together.
- Divide the mixture into ⅔ rds for the base and ⅓ for the crumble topping.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Line a brownie style tin with baking paper and grease with butter. (Tin size ± 26cm x 17cm)
- Press the ⅔ rds of the base mixture into the tin and flatten evenly.
- Spread the cranberry filling layer evenly over the base.
- Crumble over the remaining ⅓ of the biscuit style mixture. Crumble a tad unevenly so you have little pockets of jam sticking out.
- Scatter with flaked almonds.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cool completely before slicing into squares and enjoy!