500ml / 2 cups cream
250ml / 1 cup full cream milk
1 Tbsp Staffords Vanilla extract with Seeds
⅔ cup sugar, divided in 2
pinch fine sea salt
5 XL egg yolks
- In a small pot, combine cream, milk, vanilla, half the sugar and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with the remaining half of the sugar until pale.
- When cream mixture comes to a simmer remove from heat.
- Whisking constantly, slowly stream half of the hot cream mixture into the yolks.
- (Place bowl on a damp tea towel to keep stationary if you are on your own and struggling to whisk and pour at the same time.)
- Then pour the warmed yolk mixture back into the pot with the remaining hot cream.
- Return pot to heat and gently cook, using a rubber spatula to constantly move the mixture around until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon or reaches 80˚C.
- Strain custard into a medium bowl set over a bowl of ice water. Stir occasionally until completely cool. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker- pour cooled custard into a container and freeze. When frozen solid, break up and place in a food processor. Blend until smooth and then freeze again before scooping and serving.